Some guys have shown an interest in simpler recipes that require less skill and less time to prepare. This is one of the simplest out there and not only is it tasty its a damn good date dish. It can be prepared beforehand and simply plated that day to give you a fantastic way to start off the night.
- 1 pound of fresh mozzarella, get bocconcini, or small mozzarella balls
- 2 pounds of red and yellow teardrop tomatoes (you can usually find both colors packaged into one container)
- 1 ounce of fresh arugula (one good handful)
- 1 ounce of fresh basil
- 3 tbsp of good extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp of red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp of honey
- Salt and Pepper
- Start by splitting the tomatoes in half, lengthwise and placing them into one of the small mixing bowls. Split the mozz balls in half as well.
- Place your mozz ball halves into the other mixing bowl and add in the vinegar and honey.
- Season the mozz balls with salt and pepper and toss well. Toss for about a minute solid. The vinegar is there to dissolve the salt and help evenly coat the balls with seasoning. The honey is to offset the acid from the vinegar.
- Take your basil and pull the leaves off the stems. Once you have the leaves tear them into large pieces by hand and put them in the large wooden bowl.
- Add the tomatoes and seasoned mozzarella to the basil and toss all that with the olive oil.
- Taste the salad, making sure to get some mozz, tomato, and basil in one bite then re-season as needed.
- Just before you serve the salad add in the arugula and toss to combine
Seasoning the mozzarella on the side is key to this recipe. Mozz by itself tends to be a little bland, regardless of quality. While Caprese salad is about simplicity, that doesn’t mean it should lack flavor.
Dont add the arugula if you prepare the salad the day before as it might wilt a little and start to look a little skeezy.