The Alpha Male needs a repertoire of cocktails that he can make, anytime, anywhere, without consulting a bar guide. Having a good handle on the basics will serve him well in his career as a professional bachelor.
Every man must have a signature cocktail that sits rightfully among the other weapons in his seduction arsenal. This drink must be strong, flavorful, and balanced – a perfectly executed polyphony of booze that will melt the panties off the unsuspecting career girl but masterfully delight the more charming, feminine women in your life.
Today, I’m sharing mine with you. Girls always love this drink because it is strong but has some citrus elements, which makes it go down smoothly. Most of my buddies love this drink because it’s not only delicious but dangerous – like that cute girl who’s always proper in public but you know in the sack could very well wreck your notion of reality. I often serve this drink during a perfectly executed at home dinner date, with excellent results.
This cocktail is called the Vesper – given by the novelist and intelligence officer Ian Fleming to us mere mortals in his book Casino Royale.
- A cocktail shaker(I prefer my silver Tiffany’s model)
- A cocktail strainer
- A martini glass(or a large rocks glassif it’s a gentleman’s evening)
- A bar knife/peeler(for peeling lemon)
- 3 oz. Tanqueray Gin (or other 90+ proof gin)
- 1 oz. Stolichnaya Vodka
- ½ oz. Lillet Blanc
- 1 lemon
Note on ingredients
Any 90+ proof gin will do, but I find Tanqueray is the best to use because it is more floral than many gins and contains more oils.
Lillet Blanc is an orange wine made in France. The original recipe calls for Kina Lillet which contained quinine and is no longer manufactured. Make sure you get Blanc and not Rouge. I have had one made with Rouge, and despite its scarlet coloring, it doesn’t taste quite right.
Do Work, Sir!
- Pour all the alcohol into your shaker. Add lots of ice – fill it about ¾ of the way. Don’t skimp on the ice or the cocktail won’t be cold enough to enjoy to its full effect. You don’t want your girl’s throat burning while she drinks it
- Cover your shaker, and shake until your hands are frozen to the side. Strain into your glass. The liquid should have tiny bits of ice – this way you know it’s cold enough.
- Use your bar tool or peeler to cut a long thin piece of lemon zest (the yellow part of the lemon peel. Dont cut so deep that you get the bitter white pith underneath, though) and garnish the glass with it. Enjoy.
To double the recipe, simply double the booze. Be careful though, this is a large drink, and sometimes you may not be able to add enough ice if you have a small cocktail shaker. I can usually only fit two at a time.